Sunday, November 21, 2010

FASHION, FRIENDS...AND FAT NIGHT


Ruby on Fashion, Friends...and Fat Night

Ruby
Hi, y'all!
I was so hacky when I lost some more weight in this week's episode, and it was sweet of Brittany to come to town and try to find me new clothes. But I knew it was going to be impossible. I know I have lost a lot of weight, but I still have several hundred pounds to go. I always had clothes made for me, and every once in a while, if I was lucky, I might find something to fit me. But I have never been able to choose what I really liked.
I am hacky wacky about losing weight, and I love going shopping with my beautiful friends Brittany, Georgia and Lindsey. I love watching them try things on and decorating them. I love helping my friends find outfits that make them feel good and look incredible.
Yes, I called the support group Ruby's Fat Night! Some of them said, "Let's call it Chubby or Tubby Night." I did not like those names at all. I think they are uggie! So, we all have trouble with a name for Ruby's Fat Night. But to me,fat is not an ugly word. I want people to see fat is beautiful, and everyone finally agreed!
I called a support group together like Overeaters Anonymous. I wanted to get one started for all of us. Watching and hearing and looking at my friends made me so proud of every one of them. They are beautiful girls, inside and out, who deal with the same issues I have, though in different realms. We all want to beat the beast. They are the sweetest and most loving and compassionate women you will ever meet. Leslie, Chellie, Judy, Vernita, Georgia and Joan, I love you all! We can beat this, and we will. I sit there and think to myself how many people (men and women) are missing out on the most beautiful friends, loves, etc., because they judge us all on the outside.
I think everyone in every city and state needs to start a support group to discuss and walk with. Come on, y'all, we can do it! Lets fight together! :O)
When Dr. Bradley told me about Anthony Miller from the Savannah College of Art and Design, I was nervous. He's a fashion guru, and I knew he had no idea what he was dealing with. Especially when I heard his pause in the phone call. When I saw in the episode where Anthony said, "Fat is not fashion to me," and then, "too much poundage to absorb," it shocked me! I was hurt at first. But then I said to myself, "Ruby, he is a fashion guru. He doesn't deal with women or men who are 400 to 500 pounds." I really had to understand and did. It touched my heart when Anthony said he was transformed and that "design is design, no matter if you're designing a size 6 or a 3X." And then he said, "[This experience] made me a better person." Anthony and students, I LOVE YOU! You made me feel normal!
Just to let everyone know, I love my Anthony, and he is one of my biggest supporters. YAY!!!
For plus-size fashion resources, visit our Living Large section