Sunday, November 21, 2010

MY OPINIONS, TEMPTATIONS-AND TAKING RISK


Ruby on Opinions, Temptations—and Taking Risks

Ruby
I learned a lot during the filming of this week's episode. I was so hacky I finally got under 400 pounds. That was a huge accomplishment for me. I feel like I have been working so hard, and right now the only way I can see any change is by looking at the scales. Yes, I am humidified that I cried in front of my trainer because I wasn't under 400. Who cries in front of their trainer? LOL!
But in the end I finally conquered and got below 400 pounds. I am hacky wacky and now I am able to drive Georgia's car. Freedom, YAY! But I am finding out that there is a price that comes with my newfound freedom that I had no clue about. In my freedom, my temptation became bigger and much more accessible to me. YUCK!! Fast-food store on every street, convenience stores for days. Can I conquer this when I am alone, facing myself? Can I conquer this when the beast disguises himself and tries to defeat me?
My team—Dr. Bradley, Dr. Brewerton, Helen Hussy and Reese Brown—I know they all want me to win. They are passionate about what they believe. But I was getting mixed signals, and everyone was saying what they truly believe is right for me. I meant it when I said they can't let me decide what to do this early in the game. I am the addict, and I will choose what feeds the addict instead of the girl.
I was insulted when Dr. Brewerton called me a BS'er—who?! To me, a BS'er is someone who is knowingly manipulating a situation. I know where he is coming from, but to me when it is innocently done, it is not BS'ing. But I do have to question: Is this part of my addiction?
I could have killed Jeff for putting me on the spot at the DMV. Before I knew it, I was taking a driver's license test. They didn't put this in the show, but I told Jeff that if I failed the test he would be driving me everywhere. You've heard of Driving Miss Daisy; he'd be driving Miss Ruby! LOL! I not kid!
Personally I think the biggest problem out there is that there are too many people with so many ideas, when it's as simple as A-B-C. We know what we should eat with good portion sizes. Personally I think everyone should base their eating on the American Diabetic Association's recommendations. It should be a life change.
The eating right and exercise is not a problem. The problem is trying to connect the mind and the will to do it. There is a huge disconnection. I do know with all I have I want to beat this, but when I come face to face with it the mind and will are no longer connected. The scary thing is, I know we have all the tools we need to fix our problem. The diet industry, doctors and science have provided all the tools to fix this, but that is not the problem. The problem is, there is a huge disconnection between the mind and the will. I believe that is where the problem stems from. What others think should be so easy for us we find difficult to grasp, which makes us aliens to this. Something else controls us, and we don't even know it until it has captured us into bondage. Now I am fighting to connect my mind and will. I believe when the mind and will connect, then we will win.
In closing, I want to share my favorite quote, from Theodore Roosevelt. I would love for me and everyone else to live by these words:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face in marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."