Sunday, November 21, 2010

Ruby Talks Oprah, Addiction and Staying Motivated


Ruby Talks Oprah, Addiction and Staying Motivated

Ruby, Oprah
I am so honored and happy to have gotten the chance to be on Oprah. She is a strong, amazing woman! She made me feel like I was a guest in her home. From the moment I walked in the door of Harpo Studios, her entire staff made me feel so loved. Starting with the security team, then the producers, makeup artist, hairstylist and her entire staff...they all made me feel like family and treated me so special. To me, that says a lot about Oprah!
It was an Oprah show that was the starting point of my inspiration to get my truth out there and share my weight-loss journey on television, so I had a dream come true when I actually got to talk to her about the ups and downs of my own struggles. (What was also so special to me was meeting Kathy, one of the people I have inspired. It was so exciting!)
I have to say that Oprah is beautiful, stunning, healthy and happy, and I do not think she needs to lose weight at all! (I do sympathize and relate to her blue corn chip addiction. LOL!)
I am so happy she is raising awareness of the problem of obesity and giving a voice to the millions of Americans who are battling the obesity "beast"! I agree with her that weight gain can be a sign that our lives are out of balance and that we need to figure out what we are really feeding.
I do believe with all my heart that this is an addiction like alcoholism or drug abuse. But let me bring a little awareness to this—and maybe this will make some of you understand: When dealing with alcohol or drugs, you have to completely go cold turkey to beat it. With food, we cannot go cold turkey. We have to eat to live! We have to beat our addiction and still taste our addiction. Do you think, if you were to tell an alcoholic, "You still have to drink this every day"—could they beat it?
This is why I believe obesity is such a deadly epidemic in America.
But I believe with all my heart that if we fight, fight, fight and never give up or give in, we can and will beat this. We have to take it one day at a time and sometimes one minute at a time to make a lifetime change. Remember, we have to fix the mental, physical, emotional and spiritual if we want to win!
Facing our beast means facing our truth. And the truth will set us free! YAY!
Click here to visit the Ruby section for videos, tips, message boards and the complete show schedule.